[Users] email message storage location

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Mon Mar 23 01:31:27 CET 2020

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 22:50:25 +0000
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 21:18:06 -0000
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 20:28:24 +0000
> > Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > The information doesn't seem to be
> > > widely documented, for some reason.
> >
> > Despite it being detailed in the man page, stated in the wizard, and
> > stated on the 'add mailbox' dialogue, it could be more widely
> > documented. If you have a moment or 2 you could add it to the FAQ
> > wiki. https://www.claws-mail.org/faq
>
> Great example of how easy it is when you already know the answer. Well
> done!
>
> Sorry but I first searched with google and didn't find the
> information. Then I looked in the manual and the FAQ and it wasn't
> there. I didn't run any programs since I was looking at the
> documentation before I said anything.

I found the same thing.   I use Claws with the mail folders in a
different partition from the OS, so if I reinstall the OS for some
reason I just need to point Claws at that location.   But it isn't
obvious and it's hard to find - the obvious place would be
Configuration - Preferences but it's not there.   'File - Add mailbox'
is not entirely intuitive since I didn't want to *add* any, just point
at the ones already there.

And the location is not specified in $HOME/.claws-mail/clawsrc  or
accountrc, it's a line in $HOME/.claws-mail/folderlist.xml   (I somehow
think one shouldn't be editing that directly, anyway.   The point is,
if one looks at a running Claws-Mail and wants to know "Where is this
keeping its mailboxes?" it isn't easy to find out.)

A line in the FAQ for 'where does Claws keep its mailboxes' would be
good, I'd try to add a line in the FAQ BUT I'm not sufficiently sure of
my information to be confident it's correct.

cr