[Users] Composing a filter

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 12:42:26 CET 2020

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:59:30 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 22:02:01 -0400
> Henry Carmichael <henry.carmichael at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a detailed description of the Filter Composition process?
> > Or, is there a flowchart of the process? The all-too-brief
> > description in the "Manual" mentions several options available with
> > a dearth of explanation or example. I have found creation of a
> > filter frustratingly
> > clunky.
> >
> > It reminds me of the classic definition of "kludge" - a collection
> > of ill-fitting parts forming a distressing whole.
>
> Creating filtering rules involves the following:
>
> 1. Optionally add a Name for your filter
> 2. Choose the account which it applies to
> 3. Configure the Match criteria
> 4. Configure  the Action(s) performed
> 5. Click the 'Add' button
> 6. Click the 'OK' button

I suspect it's the last two steps, and the corresponding steps within
the previous configure steps.

It does often feel that it's very easy to forget the 'Add' step at
every stage. There doesn't really seem much point in it. After I've
gone to all the trouble of configuring whatever it is, why wouldn't I
want to add it? Why can't the OK button add anything that is
outstanding?

One other feature I would sometimes find useful is a 'Run' button on
the main filter dialog. As it is, after creating a new filter I have to
close the dialog then go to the menu and run the filters, then check
whether they did what I wanted and re-open the filter dialog to
re-order them if I messed up.