[Users] Python Plugin Information/Help

Peter Hanlon hanlonpp at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 18 03:51:33 CET 2020

 I have been trying to run an automated claws-mail application, very
dependent upon the brilliant Python plugin. The general notion is
that I would run a series of mail activities driven off the
auto/startup module, predominantly upon the Inbox, which in turn
might generate outbound emails, and their delivery, and a final clean
shutdown, and subsequent restart via crontab.

The activities include mail tasks such as File/EmptyTrashes,
File/Exit and various more complex procedures which are invoked from
Python main/mymodule1,mymodule2 etc.

I am using Raspberry Pi, Claws-Mail 3.17.3-2.

I have had two major problems, starting up, and shutting down.

The first is attempting to run claws-mail from a crontab entry, which
would cause it to in turn invoke Holger’s Python ’startup’ module. I
played about with lxterminal, xterm, and God knows what else.

A very cryptic crontab entry '*/10 * * * * DISPLAY=:0 claws-mail
—receive-all’ sorted that out, and I can now automatically invoke
claws-mail, do whatever with the mail queues, present stuff for
output mail delivery, except

When I finally run a ‘File/Exit’ command, it appears to process the
command but ignores it. Hitting the X terminator at the right top of
the window does the job, but not automated.

I have looked through the various config options for possible
blocking popups (Do you really want to Empty Trash etc), but can’t
find anything which seems relevant.

I could run a further crontab to kill my running claws-mail in
advance of the startup one, but think I should be able to manage a
graceful exit.

Are there any return codes/logs etc that might help me pin point the
problem?

Peter Hanlon