[Users] Text Wrap in Compose Window: Space Key

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 07:53:05 CEST 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020 13:33:57 +0600
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2020 08:29:57 -0000
> Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 May 2020 13:04:52 +0600
> > Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > <string-of-text> as<cursor>if <string of text>)
> >
> > There's no space between 'as' and 'if', just a cursor between 's'
> > and 'i'. Is that what you meant?
> >
> DM: Yes, that's what I meant.
> >
> > > The problem is that, when I press the space key, it ONLY causes
> > > the wrap without ALSO adding a space.
> >
> > You suggest that a space should be added where? It can't go at the
> > end of the line because you have a character there, and this is what
> > you want. It also wouldn't be suitable to start a line with a space.
> >
> DM: ... probably the issue is more complex and context-specific than
> I thought. Once I'm able to reproduce it ... I will reply again to see
> if I can provide you with a way to consistently reproduce it.

DM: Paul and others: Okay, this happened again in my regular workflow,
and I was able to harvest the sample text, which I'll use below to show
(rather than try to explain) what happens. So here's the first version
of the text (my cursor is on the second line, directly after the 't' in
'want'):

[Start Sample]
DM: That is what I would expect, since it's likely the system wouldn't
be able to find whatever the link is pointing to. If you ever want If I
want everything appear
[End Sample]

DM: After pressing 'Space' and typing the word 'to' I get this (the
cursor is now directly after the 'o' in the last instance of the word
'to' in the second line):

[Start Sample]
DM: That is what I would expect, since it's likely the system wouldn't
be able to find whatever the link is pointing to. If you ever want to If
I want everything appear
[End Sample]

DM: After pressing 'Space' I get this (the cursor is still directly
after the 'o' in the last instance of the word 'to' in the second line):

[Start Sample]
DM: That is what I would expect, since it's likely the system wouldn't
be able to find whatever the link is pointing to. If you ever want to
If I want everything appear
[End Sample]

DM: The next word I want to type is 'find'. After typing 'f' I get this
(the cursor is directly after the 'f' I just typed):

[Start Sample]
DM: That is what I would expect, since it's likely the system wouldn't
be able to find whatever the link is pointing to. If you ever want tof
If I want everything appear
[End Sample]

DM: So that's an example of the problem I'm talking about. Just for
closure (and in case it's helpful), the eventual normal wrapping
sequence for what I'm composing would be to have the word 'to' at the
end of the second line and the word 'find' at the beginning of the
third line. If I catch it after typing 'f', I can go back, put the
space after 'to' and then when I continue typing 'find' it will
wrap/drop it as expected. If I don't catch it and continue typing
'find', then it will wrap/drop the whole string 'tofind' to the next
line. Then if I want the 'right' wrapping appearance, I not only need
to go back to put the space in, but then also need to get the 'to' back
up on the second line where there is still room for it.

DM: I'm using Claws Mail 3.17.4 on Lubuntu 18.04. In Configuration -
Preferences - Compose - Wrapping, I think I just have the defaults: all
four boxes are checked and it's set to wrap text at 72 characters.

DM: I haven't checked BugZilla yet for similar reports, but am happy to
add comments there or file a new bug if it would be helpful. Let me
know what advice you have on that. I will also likely be harvesting
more samples as they show up; if you'd like me to post those as well, I
can do so. Let me know if there is any additional information I should
provide or questions you might have. Thanks, ---Dustin