[Users] Building CM 3.17

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 30 21:56:12 CEST 2020

On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 20:05 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:21:11 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 16:54 +0200, John Crisp wrote:
> > > Just to be awkward.... how do I get it to build the package WITHOUT
> > > installing?
> >
> > From the man page,
> > http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/checkinstall.8.html :
> >
> > "All the options that toggle a switch default to activate the option.
> >  To force activation or deactivation, call them with '=yes' or '=no'."
> >
> > "--install Toggle installation of the created package."
> >
> > IIUC you need to run 'sudo checkinstall --install=no'.
>
> I don't know the answer, but that statement contradicts your previous
> advice to never built using sudo.
>
> NEVER BUILD USING SUDO is very good advice.

Building a package shouldn't require root privileges, it should work by
some kind of fakeroot environment. However, checkinstall requires root
privileges. As long as it only builds the package, it's not that much of
a problem. Keep in mind, it's a replacement for "sudo make install", not a
replacement for regular packaging. If you run "make" before you run
"sudo checkinstall" it does not build the binaries.

Users are free to do regular packaging, using a fakeroot environment or
just to do a "make install".