[Users] Building CM 3.17

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 15:28:20 CEST 2020

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:32:10 -0400
Lee Underwood <mail at leeunderwood.org> wrote:

> I have Claws-Mail 3.16 and Ubuntu 18.04. So I need to learn how to
> build 3.17. Can someone point me to where I can find instructions?
> I'm not 'too' technical when it comes to this. Any help is
> appreciated.

Personally I use the git repo, so clone that.

Then:

./autogen.sh

Fix missing dependencies (see other posts on this)

Then:

sudo checkinstall --pkgname=claws-mail --pkgversion=3.17
--pkgrelease=6-aecf6d5c2

checkinstall 1.6.2, Copyright 2009 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
           This software is released under the GNU GPL.

**** Debian package creation selected ***

This package will be built according to these values:

0 -  Maintainer: [ root at my-xubuntu ]
1 -  Summary: [ claws-mail from git source ]
2 -  Name:    [ claws-mail ]
3 -  Version: [ 3.17 ]
4 -  Release: [ 6-aecf6d5c2 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
8 -  Source location: [ claws ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
10 - Requires: [  ]
11 - Provides: [ claws-mail ]
12 - Conflicts: [  ]
13 - Replaces: [  ]

Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue:

And off you go. Build a nice deb that you can then install/distribute

Here is my list of deps I originally needed....

sudo apt-get install bsfilter dillo checkinstall flex libgnutls28-dev
libgtk2.0-dev libetpan-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev libpoppler-glib-dev
libgpgme-dev libytnef0-dev libical-dev libarchive-dev libwebkitgtk-dev
libgdata-dev libgumbo-dev libperl-dev python-gtk2-dev libnotify-dev
libcanberra-gtk3-dev libcanberra-dev libcanberra-gtk-dev
libdbusmenu-glib-dev libnm-dev docbook-utils compface
libcompfaceg1-dev librsvg2-dev enchant libenchant-dev libldap2
libcompfaceg1-dev

Only thing that it doesn't build is this:

                Disabled due to missing dependencies:
                    unity/messaging-menu

But I don't use Unity......

My 10c worth !!