[Users] Heads up: Error While copying, dir does not exist

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 19:56:44 CEST 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:17:08 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>the ones  that had the "|" in the name; when I copied those to a fat32
>or ntfs formatted drive the "|" was changed to "-" very strange
>behaviour.

It's not strange. Alien file systems might allow or not allow
different chars. The might preserve permissions and or attributes or
not.

Even ext4 doesn't allow all chars:

[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ touch /
touch: setting times of '/': Permission denied
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ touch \/
touch: setting times of '/': Permission denied

Or a char is allowed, but requires a workaround to be used:

[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ touch \
> ^C
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ touch \\
[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ /usr/bin/ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 0 Jul 23 19:54 '\'

Hence use an archive, "tar" with the "--xattrs" option.