[Users] Installing claws-mail from source ....

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Aug 23 04:02:42 CEST 2020

I recently joined the set of claws-mail users, and am basically very
glad I did.  However my initial mode of installing claws-mail (under my
Ubuntu OS) made use of "sudo apt-get install ...".  This seemed to work
seamlessly, but gave me version 3.16.0, whereas the latest and greatest
version appears to be 3.17.6 (so the repository used by apt-get is
running a bit behind).

I think I will have a go at installing claw-mail from source.  The
instructions given in the material obtained by cloning the claws-mail
git repository seem pretty clear.

However I would like to seek counsel from younger and wiser heads
before I plunge in.  Are there any disasters waiting to happen?  What
precautions should I take before attempting the installation?  How
difficult (or easy) will it be to back out if everything goes to
custard?

Thanks for any avuncular or materteral advice.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow