[Users] Keyboard Navigation in Message View

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:45:36 CEST 2020

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:36:15 +0600
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 08:28:49 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:09:38 +0600
> > Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Linux Mint 20 XFCE (based on Ubuntu 20.04)
> > > Claws Mail (CM) 3.17.6
> > >
> > > The following is a list of things that I wish could be changed (in
> > > the code or by a setting) in relation to how the keyboard
> > > navigation works when viewing an email in the message pane of the
> > > primary CM interface:
> > >
> > > * 1. Pressing the 'Space' key moves you down one screen view (i.e.
> > >   'page'). If you are already at the bottom, it attempts to move
> > > you to the next unread message in the same folder, and if there
> > > are none in that folder, it will attempt to move you to an unread
> > > message in a different folder. I wish that it would do nothing
> > > when you are at the bottom of the message. (I think this behavior
> > > has been present for a good number of versions, at least since I
> > > started using CM.)
> DM: As a workaround for this issue, I tried to go to 'View' - 'Message
> Scroll' - 'Next Page' and assign the 'Space' key to it by pressing
> 'Space', but that simply closes the menu w/o assigning it. Is the
> inability to do this a bug or a feature?

DM: As another attempted workaround, I tried to assign the 'PageUp' and
'PageDown' keys (also common and intuitive outside of Claws) to
(v3.17.4, on Lubuntu 18.04); pressing these just moves you up and down
in the menu. Is the inability to assign these a bug or a feature?

DM: I was, however, able to assign 'Ctrl + PageUp' and 'Ctrl +
PageDown', so I may decide to go with that as a 'tolerable' workaround
(assuming they work the same on v3.17.6 as they do on v3.17.4, in
regards to resolving all three of the issues mentioned in my original
post).

DM: If any developers feel that anything in this thread is a bug that
should be reported, let me know, and I'll be happy to do that. Thanks,
---Dustin