[Users] Keyboard Navigation in Message View

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:29:17 CEST 2020

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 11:22:55 +1000
Liz Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 06:50:26 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On a new install of 3.17.6, in which I have not altered settings
> > >
> > > 2 sends me to the next unread message after several presses
> > >
> > DM: If you are **at the top** of the message, does it do this with
> > only one press?
>
> Correct

DM: Okay, good to know; so that's consistent with things here.

> > > 3 is not occurring - that is one press sends me up one screen
> > >
> > DM: Interesting. What OS are you using? If Linux-based, what desktop
> > environment are you using, and are you using a specific type of
> > keyboard input method (ibus, etc.)?
>
> Debian Bullseye, XFCE, whatever keyboard input method setup with this
> new install of bullseye

DM: Okay, so that suggests this may not be a Claws Mail bug or, if it
is, it's one that is conditional on one's system configuration. I
probably won't pursue trouble-shooting this for now since I have a
reasonable workaround, but I am willing to file a bug report if any
developers recommend that.

> > Could you try the following
> > sequence of actions and report back?
> >
> > * 1. Start with a message newly opened in message view (i.e. so that
> >   you are **at the top** of the message).
> > * 2. Press 'Space' once. (should move you down one screen)
> > * 3. Press 'Shift + Space' once. (according to your above report,
> > this should only result in moving you to the top again)
> Correct

DM: Helpful confirmation. Thanks for your help, Liz. Cheers, ---Dustin