[Users] Keyboard Navigation in Message View

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:50:26 CEST 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 13:19:04 +1000
Liz Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:09:38 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Linux Mint 20 XFCE (based on Ubuntu 20.04)
> > Claws Mail (CM) 3.17.6
> >
> > The following is a list of things that I wish could be changed (in
> > the code or by a setting) in relation to how the keyboard
> > navigation works when viewing an email in the message pane of the
> > primary CM interface:
> >
> > * 1. Pressing the 'Space' key moves you down one screen view (i.e.
> >   'page'). If you are already at the bottom, it attempts to move you
> > to the next unread message in the same folder, and if there are none
> > in that folder, it will attempt to move you to an unread message in
> > a different folder. ...
> >
> > * 2. Pressing 'Shift + Space' is meant to move you up one screen
> > view (i.e. 'page'). If you are already at the top, it attempts to
> > move you to the next unread message in the same folder; if there
> > are none in that folder, it will NOT attempt to move you to an
> > unread message in a different folder. ...
> >
> > * 3. Also, pressing 'Shift + Space' actually causes the action to be
> >   executed twice; thus, it either moves you up two screen views, or
> >   else moves you to the top and then tries to go to the next unread
> >   message. ...
>
> On a new install of 3.17.6, in which I have not altered settings

DM: Thanks for you reply, Liz.

> agree with 1
> 2 sends me to the next unread message after several presses

DM: If you are **at the top** of the message, does it do this with only
one press?

> 3 is not occurring - that is one press sends me up one screen

DM: Interesting. What OS are you using? If Linux-based, what desktop
environment are you using, and are you using a specific type of
keyboard input method (ibus, etc.)? Could you try the following
sequence of actions and report back?

* 1. Start with a message newly opened in message view (i.e. so that
  you are **at the top** of the message).
* 2. Press 'Space' once. (should move you down one screen)
* 3. Press 'Shift + Space' once. (according to your above report, this
  should only result in moving you to the top again)

DM: On my system, this sequence would result in moving me to the top of
the message AND trying to go to the next unread message (if there are
none, I think the default is to show a dialogue window mentioning
that). Thanks again, ---Dustin