[Users] Fwd: Running Claws on an external hard drive.

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 07:51:56 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 4:48 PM M. J. (Mel) Miners <martlet at telus.net>
wrote:

> Hi Lawrence, it took me about 6 hours of trying, but I finally can receive
> Gmail into Claws, but I still havn't figured out what switches to set to
> get it to send out from Claws to Gmail.

This is all there is to it.

Open Claws
go to Configuration
go to Account preferences
Under server information:
Protocol should be IMAP4 and Auto-configure
Then:
Server for receiving   imap.googlemail.com
SMTP server (send)   smtp.googlemail.com
and then username and password

and there is one more thing you will probably encounter at some time or
another
Gmail will decide your email client, Claws is a questionable or unreliable
app to access your gmail account (or something like that) and block it from
logging in and transferring email to/from Claws
You then have to go into Gmail settings and tell it to always allow such
apps to access your Gmail account
this has happened to me several times

If you try this and still have problems let me know.

LL

> Thanks, Mel
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:53 AM Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Config
>>>
>>> Well, there's nothing really tricky if you want to install the program
>>> on E:. Just pick the right drive or path during the install process.
>>>
>>> The data directory will by default be relative to you user data dir
>>> (which is commonly on C:), unless you use, as you already do,
>>> --alternate-config-dir.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your explanation. It works flawlessly with everything on e:\
>> and using the special command to run Claws.
>> I was a little curious how e:\Claws Mail Config got created, whether
>> Claws did it during install or if I created it manually.
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> wwp
>>> https://useplaintext.email/
>>

>> This is a great site. I will be using it and your list of email hosts. I
>> would like to add another to the Gmail one I have.
>> The only issue is whether I can access it with Claws.
>>

>> --
>> Lawrence F. London, Jr.
>> lfljvenaura at gmail.com
>> Avant Geared
>> walnut and oak serving and kitchen cutting boards
>> https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared
>> <https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/avant-geared-products/woodworking>
>> https://www.instagram.com/avantgeared/?hl=en

Lawrence F. London, Jr.