[Users] Switching from Thunderbird to claws-mail.

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 10:28:23 CEST 2020

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:09:23 +0300
Ivan Krylov <krylov.r00t at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 14:35:27 +1200
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

<snip>
> > > Otherwise, there is another script at the same place,
> > > tbird2claws.py, which will convert your tb mailbox(es).
> >
> > Hmmm.  Given the foregoing, why would one need such a script?  For
> > use with a POP server perhaps?
>
> One caveat I could think of: GMail (perhaps other IMAP providers too?)
> limits the daily IMAP traffic [*], so if you have more than a few
> gigabytes of mail, downloading it in one day could be impossible.
>
> Another GMail-specific caveat is Google insisting on using a
> non-discoverable authentication scheme that involves starting a browser
> and passing a token back to the client [**], which Claws does not
> support, so a workaround is to use an app-specific password and/or
> enable access using applications Google calls "less secure" in the
> settings [***].

Your off the mark here. Ralf was right. That script would be needed for POP
accounts which, therefore, have a local mailbox.

As for gmail caveats, they hide your own mails sent to mailing lists, their
imap implementation doesn't know what a 'new' mail is, just 'unread' and
'read'. But all this is nothing compared to them scanning your private emails.
Your private communications are no longer private. Even when we communicate
with gmail users.

But for those who do use gmail and claws-mail, set-up details are in the FAQ:
https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Using_Claws_Mail_with_Gmail

with regards

Paul