[Users] mimeview_open_part_with -- How do I disable the "Open with" confirmation dialog?

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:23:28 CEST 2020

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 09:40:21 -0400
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> I'm fed up with the html plugins (litehtml, dillo & fancy) and
> decided to simply use "O" (View->Message Part->Open with...") to use
> firefox.
>
> However, it triggers an "Open with" confirmation dialog.  A quick
> look at mimeview.c shows variables "automatic" and "remember"[1]; but
> I'm not familiar enough with CM internals to see if there's a way to
> prevent this dialog from popping up every time...  Clue?

DM: Hi, Pierre. If I'm understanding your question correctly, I think
for what you want to do, assuming you have Firefox selected in
'Configuration->Preferences->External programs...', then I would think
you should be able to use 'Open' ('L') instead of 'Open with...' ('O').
That works fine for me and what I've been doing most of the time since I
stopped using 'Fancy'.

DM: I'm pretty sure 'L' is the default for 'Open', but it would be
different if you changed it (you can check in 'View->Message Part').
From a previous question I asked on this list, I think the 'Open with'
dialog window doesn't have a box to check for persistence when
activated for a message part that is text/html, the reason being that
this can be set via 'Configuration->Preferences->External programs...'.
Hope that helps, ---Dustin