[Users] A couple of questions about templates

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 06:47:20 CEST 2020

Hey there,

Johan Vromans wrote:

>What I want is this: I click on a mailto url somewhere. Claws opens a
>compose window using my default (or whatever) composing account.
>Then I select a template. Now I want this template to become the
>message (preferrably without asking -- there is nothing to be
>replaced yet) and to switch to a specific composing account.
>
>I'm familiar with folder properties and templates, but this pertains
>to the case there is no message (hence no folder/account) yet.

This sounds like a job for AutoKey. It's "a desktop automation
utility for Linux and X11" that's free and open source and can be
used in conjunction with Claws Mail to perform pretty much any action
you like. It can insert text, replace text, press buttons, launch
programs, etc. You would use Python to script the actions that you'd
like it to do for you and then either use a hotkey or a typed phrase
to trigger the script.

You can visit the https://github.com/autokey/autokey home page and
find out more about it. The Documentation section of the page has a
link to the AutoKey wiki, which has some sample scripts you can take
a look at. The Support section of the page has links to the AutoKey
Gitter community and Google Group where you can get help from fellow
users (myself included) to get it to play nice with Claws Mail in any
number of ways and do whatever you like without having to make any
changes to Claws Mail.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.