[Users] [claws-mail newbie] Some problems; a key one now: not friendly for dark themes?

Dedeco Balaco dedeco.balaco at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 20:13:01 CET 2019

Hello,

i am a new user of claws-mail (CM). All my life, the client i have most
used is Thunderbird (TB) (or other names for its brothers, in separate
suites or not, like Seamonkey and Mozilla Mail). But i do not like the
current version of TB i have. It silently crashes too much, and
sometimes eat up too much memory. For the memory detail, i have read
that claws-mail is really good. TB has maaaaaany features i use and
would like to keep. But CM says it is feature rich too, so i am trying it.

1) Will i have to *manually* reconfigure every account i access with TB
in CM?

2.a) I was writing 2.b item, but i discovered that CM refuses to create
a new account with a compose window open for the existing account i
already configured. Is there a reason for this? It should not be, i
think. How can the composition of a message do something to trouble
accounts creation?

2.b) When configuring a new account in CM, it shows forms with bogus
data for full name, email, etc.. This is *very bad* because i usually
copy this data with X selections from other windows, and "paste" them in
the form with middle mouse button. But the form is already filled with
bogus data... if i select it, i lose the data to be pasted; deleting it
before selecting the other is annoying; deletinig it without never
selecting any character is hard. Let it empty! - i think.

3) When i create the second account, the first window is filled with
values copied from the account 1. Really, really bad. Will i have to
delete all values in all forms to create every new account in CM?

4) I do not use pure black on white windows for anything. Most programs
and situations are fine. In Thunderbird 45.8.0 (and probably several
other versions before the huge kernel change Mozilla made recently,
which i dislike very much, and will not use), i have the option:

Edit > Preferences > Appearance > tab Formatting > button Colors

In the window opened with this button, i can choose 4 colors (text,
background, unvisited links, visited links), if i want to underline
links or not (i suppose that is what the "underline" checkbox is for)
and when i want to use those colors, which is a dropdown menu. In this
menu, i have the opeion "always", which will make several things happen,
among them:

a. when i compose new message, both in HTML and pure text formats, the
compose window will use those colors for the message body;

b. when i read most messages, their message bodies will also use those
colors;

c. those colors will be sent with the HTML messages i write, which i do
not find necessary - but TB has no way to turn it off, i think, so i let
it be.

Is there a way to use CM with all colors configured for a dark
background, and to force this dark background where needed? If there is,
how can i? I have seen that i can configure tag colors in CM, and the
background colors for the citation parts of messages - but a black bg
for the citation part together with the message body in white bg is
nonsense. There must be something i am not finding here.

Look how bad those white bg look, in the two screenshots i attached.

This question is the main starting point for me to start using CM, i think.

5) Am i understanding it wrong, or is claws-mail default configuration
helps spammers' images to be loaded? Go to: mail window menu >
Configurations > Preferenecs > left pan "message view"?? > subitem
"images viewer" > checkbox "show images in message", which is checked by
default.

?? "message view" or something close to that, as i am translating
everything from my language to English to write this message.