[Users] Using Claws with Gmail

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 19:18:14 CET 2019

Hey there,

Gregg Conroy wrote:

>Let me provide some additional information on my problem.  I have
>configured my Gmail account to accept less secure app.  I am trying
>to use Gmail's POP3, not IMAP.

Okay. Not a problem. I use both types, so we should be able to
compare settings.

>I have, under Advanced, Ports set to 587 for SMTP and 995 for POP,
>which is what I see from Gmail when looking for ports to use with
>POP.

Those two are correct and you're connecting just fine when you try
to retrieve mail. The connection is failing at authentication.

>I have SSL/TLS setting at POP - use SSL/TLS and SMTP Use STARTTLS
>command to start encrypted session.  (I get the same error if I have
>SMTP set to Use SSL/TLS.)

My settings are a bit different from yours here. Here are all of the
settings I use for POP3 Gmail:

In the SSL tab:
	My "POP3" setting is: Use SSL for POP3 connection
	My "Sent(SMTP)" setting is: Use STARTLS command to start SSL
session The option to "Use non-blocking SSL" at the bottom is not
checked. In the Advanced tab:
	My "SMTP" port is: 587
	My "POP3" port is: 995

>The error message I get when I try to retrieve mail is:
>"Account 'acountname at gmail.com': Connecting to POP3 server:
>pop.gmail.com:995...
>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP< +OK Gpop ready for requests from
>162.238.244.32 e10mb54567198oct
>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP> USER Info.VVA1140 at gmail.com
>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP< +OK send PASS
>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP> PASS ********
>[2019-09-20 13:19:29] POP< -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not
>accepted. *** error occurred on authentication
>*** Authentication failed."
>
>Appreciate any help you can give.

If the settings above don't work, are you able to log into that
account with the username and password that you used in Claws Mail if
you put them into Gmail in a browser? If so, you might want to
double-check that you typed the username correctly in Claws Mail and
delete the password and type it in again. It's possible you did or
didn't use the caps-lock key when putting the password in or hit the
space or tab key by accident, etc.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.