[Users] Missing Date: header emails, how to correctly list in date order

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Thu Sep 19 13:40:44 CET 2019

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 13:21:41 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:14:03 +0100
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I continue to receive email from a source that doesn't include a Date:
> > header at all, however something (probably Exim) adds in a
> > Delivery-date: header during the smtp transaction.
> >
> > How much effort would it take to find this header and copy it into the
> > Date: part of the message header structure that Claws creates?
> >
> > Could this be done entirely within procheader.c or is it going to be
> > more complex?
>
> Claws Mail has a long-standing tradition of not altering the raw content of
> messages.
>
> There is a script available, called fix_date.sh, which you could run manually
> on messages with missing a Date header. It considers several headers for
> date replacement, but not Delivery-date.
> https://www.claws-mail.org/tools/claws-mail-fix_date.tar.gz

Thanks Paul. I had tagged a mention of this script on the list but
never actually got round to adding it to Actions. I have now done this
and it works.

One reason I was thinking about 'fixing' the raw message is that often
the dateless emails end up off the top or bottom of the message list
and they can get accidentally marked read and become effectively lost
or at least unseen.

Maybe the correct solution is some deep magic in my exim.conf, I shall
have to consult my tame guru.

--

Brian Morrison

                                                          Oscar Wilde