[Users] Message composition editing is primitive

Lewis lewyssmith at free.fr
Sun Sep 8 20:05:43 CET 2019

I hesitate to raise this point because it is so basic; and I do not
wish to seem to criticize all the good work that makes Claws-Mail.

Yet the fact remains that editing text while composing messages is
primitive in that deleting text does not shrink the paragraph - but
inserting text does grow it. It is tedious to repeatedly tidy paragraphs
'manually' after text deletion: put the cursor in the right place,
delete end-of-line (which joins the following text), insert something (a
space) - bingo!
Talking of which, hyphens ' - ' cause paragraph breaks on tidying.

This was the Achilles Heel of the original Opera mail, which they
eventually sorted to proper dynamic paragraph reformatting. I was
disappointed in switching to Claws-Mail to find the old behaviour
again; and hope that each new release will fix it. This is my 3rd
release now (version 3.17.3g), no improvement in this very basic area.

I would hope that there is perhaps a GTK class which does it; or some
other standard solution. I would not expect anyone to program it, very
complicated.

Lewis Smith