[Users] Consider packaging claws-mail as flatpak distributable?

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Tue Sep 3 08:46:43 CET 2019

Hi Brian,

Hmm, really? https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/desktop/flatpak/

> So moving claws-mail to a flatpak

Keep calm and carry on, nobody has talked about moving, just adding.

> would not be beneficial to any Slackware user, it would
> actually be a negative.

Don't see why, I'm sure Slackware users which use flatpak consider it
positive ;-)

> Additionally, there are dozens of Linux
> derivatives, many which don't support SNAP or FLATPAK, so I only see
> more maintenance not less for the Claws developers,

At the risk of being wrong I'd say none of us will bite that apple.

> versus simply maintaining source and allowing each Linux distribution to
> package for their native installation format.  Really the Linux
> installation standards of building from source, make & make install
> should be all that is necessary. But (sarcastically) I realize that not
> all Linux users want to know what is going in to their system and can
> blindly allow an application package to put whatever the packagers
> want.  Of course this is how virus, malware are loaded and private id's
> are stolen, but then some apparently aren't bother by that.  BUT I AM
> and like that Linux lets me control exactly what is being installed
> on my system.  Just my two cents....

Mostly agreed, but other people likes to experiment, let them play :-)

regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~