[Users] Signatures don't seem to work

mlist mlist at riseup.net
Sun Sep 1 14:38:06 CEST 2019

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 10:42:05 -0000 Paul wrote:

> I find your argument weak. This thread's subject,
> "Signatures don't seem to work", and your
> incomprehension of gpg's auto-key-retrieve indicate
> that you didn't do your homework before using gpg.
> That is fine, to learn as you go along, but to
> suggest that Claws Mail needs to change because of
> this doesn't cut it for me. Even tor (which you
> mentioned) needs to be configured correctly to
> protect your privacy.

You quickly combined various things to conclude that
the argument is weak. However:

1. "Signatures don't seem to work" was an actual fact
(or rather "signature checking"). I appreciate the
info shared here.

2. My incomprehension is now replaced by the knowledge
that keys need retrieval from a remote server (at
least once).

3. Considering (2) and knowing how HTTP works my
argument actually stands and is not weak or baseless.
Or are you saying that it is weak just because it is
based on recently acquired knowledge?

4. You didn't actually answer the question:

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 11:36:39 +0300 mlist wrote:

> Is it a huge effort to: [...]

I can't program it myself but even with my
not-so-expert programming knowledge I can tell it can
be as simple as an additional parameter in calling of
some gpg() function + a few textual warnings in the UI
based on if-statements.

Of course... I may be wrong.