[Users] possibly switching to claws

Josh L Josh at jlaz.com
Sun Oct 27 05:16:03 CET 2019

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 17:49:01 +0000, Bret Busby
<bret.busby at gmail.com> you wrote:

[...]

>As StarOffice changed and lost its mail component, when, I think, it
>became SunfOffice, after having been taken over by Sun, Opera changed,
>and I abandoned Opera as the most secure web browser, and, abandoned
>operamail, both, when Opera was sold by its Norwegian founders, to the
>Chinese (government?).
>
>It is a bit like when Skype was sold by its founders, to Microsoft,
>abandoning its support for Linux, and, abandoning its support for
>Skype users.

I'm chagrined to admit I didn't know this about Opera.  I guess
I'll try Brave.

Separately, in the late 90s, I liked the spirit behind
StarOffice and used it as much as I could even though I owned MS
Office.  Then the purchase of StarOffice seemed to result in
certain components being removed.  Further, even the later
OpenOffice components did not seem to result in mail being
restored.  I never did use StarOffice mail.  I did try to use
the other components as long as I could and bought and paid for
some disks from Sun.  I think the final straw was I could not
get the API of an important (to me) program to work within the
StarOffice spreadsheet.  I just couldn't use it.

As to the email aspect, a lesson I took from this and other
developments (Wordperfect for example) was that would-be
competitive commercial office or productivity suite providers
did not have a clue about the importance of an email (and
related) programs functioning within that suite.