[Users] possibly switching to claws

Josh L Josh at jlaz.com
Tue Oct 22 00:52:18 CET 2019

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:03:09 -0500, John B <yonaton at riseup.net>
you wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 07:48:03 -0700
>Josh L via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Thanks for some of the thoughts put forth in the thread.
>>
>> for what it's worth, using this page (which is how I came across
>> Claws)
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients#Operating_system_support
>>
>> I sorted the wikipedia table by which ones supposedly would
>> operate in Linux, MacOS and Windows.  Then today I decided to
>> make some notes in a spreadsheet as to which ones I thought
>> might best suit my needs.  The net result for now:
>>
>> Main candidates left:
>> >Claws Mail
>> >i.Scribe / InScribe
>> >Mozilla Thunderbird
>> >Trojitá
>> >Hiri
>> >SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups
>>
>> Not completely ruled out:
>> >Alpine
>> >Mailpile
>> >Sylpheed
>> >Mulberry
>>
>> more improbable, but not completely ruled out:
>> >GroupWise
>> >IBM Lotus Notes (HCL?)
>>

>  The Seamonkey suite is actually pretty darn good and 'just works'. I'll not
>  give up my Claws mail client, but I have it set up as a 'backup' over any
>  other e-mail client. Naturally this is just personal preferance and opinions
>  will vary.

Thanks I loaded it up in Win 10 and will try to evaluate it.
Note that I'm very non-technical and this will impact my final
choice, and it also means that some of the comments here go over
my head.

I don't remember all of my thinking, as to why I haven't just
gone with Thunderbird and have done with it.  I was always
confused by Seamonkey seeming to fork off from Thunderbird/etc.
and I thought maybe it would just go away, but apparently it's
still around.  Part of my concern around both Thunderbird and
Seamonkey has been that there is a lack of a commercial
relationship with the application provider.

On paying for something, to be honest, I'd prefer to pay for
commercial software (although I'd like to pay a moderate price
suitable to a single-machine user) especially if I will have to
upgrade every once in awhile), as this helps me think that it
will be around, and that I have some place I might be able to
call for support.  I may not be right in this, and could
probably cite an example against my thinking, but it's my
rule-of-thumb.