[Users] Wrapping

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 18:03:19 CEST 2019

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 06:45:37 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <kde.lists at yahoo.com> wrote:
>A phone is simply not the right tool for emailing.

Says who?

Show me a RFC or piece of legislation and we'll talk.

It might not be a 'good tool' but that is a different argument, and
people have invented around that issue.

>Absolutely no serious work is done with telephones. Office work,
>programming, artwork, etc. pp. all at least requires a tablet computer,
>sometimes even a computer with multiple very large displays is needed.

'Telephones' So 1980s.

Says you. It all depends on the work you need too do, doesn't it??

I use both phones and multi screen desktops, independently and at
the same time, depending on where I am and what I am doing. Both have
their time and place. I can't always use a desktop due to location. Some
stuff has to wait until I can get to one, and most other stuff I can do
on a phone. Some stuff is plain faster on the phone.

But to say no serious work is done is ridiculous.

>Btw. how is writing emails with a smart phone done? It's not an
>appropriate tool.

So you keep saying, ad nauseum.

Just clck New Mail, add Contact, write. Just like you do on
your desktop, and iFannyPad. Simples. But you know that, don't you?

> So for the very last time, before I stop replying:
>
>- Smart phone users could rotate the telephone in their hand for 90° to
>  avoid bad formatted lines that are wrapped at 72 chars.

I already pointed out that it isn't actually very easy to use and reply
in Landscape mode. Sorry about that. I'll speak to Google.

>People who have a sane workflow to get serious work done should care
>about lazy people, who for no good reasons, want to use telephones for
>emailing.

Seriously? Or I could just ignore your illegible mail, bearing in mind
most of it is nonsense anyway. You sound exactly like my 72 year old ex
secretary mother-in-law still missing her typewriter.

I was actually genuinely interested in this topic with issues between
us and suppliers/clients and incompatibilities with viewing
mails and attachments with different desktop software and mobile
devices, because lots of our suppliers & clients use mobiles for emails.

I have no time for a flame war. But I take offence at being called lazy
and the intimation that I am stupid for using a mobile to work on.

Regrettably both me and my staff *need* to send messages when out
and about during a working day. One of those awful things about running
a business. People EXPECT responses faster today. Sorry about that too.

So I won't bother working from my phone when I'm away from my desk
then? I'll just ignore them til I get to a desk?

>There's no need to read emails while driving a car. There even is no
>need to listen to Siri reading out aloud emails while driving a car.

I am not a Apple Fanbois, never have been, never will be (though you
appear to be). Neither do I have anything read to me at any time.

So I guess no hands free in a car for you then?? Can't have all that
technology polluting everything.

I'll just get my phone and throw it in the river. Clearly no need for
one of those?

Or shall I shall just just rip out all my mail readers, browsers,
messaging apps, SSH & git clients and just go back to calls and SMS then
(assuming texting is allowed?).

Tablets are just too big to fit comfortably in my pocket. I'm so sorry
about that as well.

No problems though. I think I have a Nokia 6210 still stuck down the
back of my sofa. Ahhh. WAP.

>Resizing a window is no option!

Hmmm. So it seems it is OK for YOU to have what you want, the way you
want it. Just no one else. Because it IS an option, just not one you
like.

You may not have noticed in your oil lit cave but the most used
computing devices on the planet are 'smart' phones (the word 'smart' is
moot).

Now, I may or may not agree with whether that is a good or bad
thing, but that is the reality you are going to have to deal with.

Nope, I personally prefer plain text over HTML & CSS (hence me messing
about using claws), and preferred the internet without web sites and
idiots. And punch cards just felt so good. But the world has moved on.
*I* have also had to move on. Web sites have HAD to become responsive
because of mobile. That's just the way it is. Email just never got a
move on.

Hence I find reading your messed up text mails on my mobile as
inconvenient and unreable as you may find mine. I'd prefer unwrapped
text that the reader can automatically and responsively wrap with a
reader option to set your preferred fixed reading width, whatever that
may be if required. You want 80 chars - have 80 chars.

But fortunately I don't have to see that very often because I get less
and less email all the time. As no one has solved the issues with
readibilty of email, people have moved on.

We should not be debating about winding the clock back 30 years. Like
it or not, email is a victim of "disruption".

Email is slowly dying because the youngsters of today find it too messy
and inconvenient. A large chunk of people born after 2000 (the
'Noughties' or 'generation Z') only have an email address for one thing.
To set up their phone. After that they almost never use it. (that is
also true for a lot born in the 90s)

That is not fantasy. That is from research carried out at one of the
UKs biggest universities. And my own experiences.

They consider email as old, cumbersome, and outdated. Because quite
frankly it IS. It will go the way of fax. And snail mail. Why?

Amongst other things....
Secure conversations are difficult - PGP anyone?
Attachments are a mess  - they were only ever a bodge add on anyway
Harder to spam
Layout - well, we can see the problem there......

Companies are moving over to chat/messaging systems in their droves.
Secure, can handle attachments, no layout issues, easy to access via
mobile..... (yeah emojis...I know....) quite simply why wouldn't you?

I am not saying whether developing technology is a good or bad
thing. But, like the nuclear bomb, I can't uninvent it.

So, you carry on moaning about your wrapping and unwrapping, and how
hard flints are to sharpen, and the rest of us will just get on with
some work on our mobile computers with applications suited to them.

>Generation selfie, the egomaniacal generation.

As opposed to generation "old, ignorant, stuck in their ways, and
selfish" like yourself? At a few years shy of 60 I know which
generation I prefer to work with.

Rgds
John

PS Apologies to other readers here but I was really quite upset by some
of the unfounded comments aimed at me.

I had been considering the possibility of moving our office from
Thunderbird to Claws due to the way TB is changing.

We are slowly moving away from email to realtime and mobile
friendly chat systems - a long way to go but, for right or wrong, that
is the direction of travel of the planet.

Ralf has just convinced me that the way ahead is anything BUT
email, so wasting time on changing mail clients is not worth my time