[Users] roughly 7-8 second delays for "Fetching message"---seems to be libravatar?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Tue Jun 11 12:26:56 CEST 2019

OlĂ  Ricardo,

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 12:09:18 +0200 Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> Hi wwp,
>
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:58:28PM +0200, wwp wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:37:34 +0200 Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > Here I had set the timeout delay to 1 sec, but even a 1-second delay at
> > every single email opening is something I could not bear -> unloaded the
> > plug-in.
>
> Network is used only if avatar is not already cached, so if you always
> have delay, I think options, higher probability first, are:
>
> - you have disabled avatar cache or configured to expire very quickly

No, here are my plugin settings:
use cached icons
refresh internal 240 hours
default missing icon mode: none
network: both checked, 1 sec timeout

> - some network problem makes the avatars not be received

Like?

> - your avatar cache is stored on a very slow device

Local SSD.

> - every message you receive is always from a different sender
>
> Otherwise I'd like to investigate what's happening there, because only
> some messages (those with unknown avatars) should be accessing the
> network, not all of them :)

My specific test case is clicking the messages from Andrej K. or George
A. in this thread several times: with the libravatar plugin ON, it
takes 2 sec to open the message. If plugin OFF, no delay (<0.5sec).

Clicking mine, yours or Michael R.'s ones takes no delay even if plugin
is ON.

Tip (after receiving another message from you in this thread): clicking
messages containing XFaces show no delay, I could notice that, still in this
thread, some of YOUR messages show XFace, some don't. The ones w/o will
take 2sec to open.

Regards,

--
wwp