[Users] roughly 7-8 second delays for "Fetching message"---seems to be libravatar?

Andrej Kacian ticho at claws-mail.org
Tue Jun 11 12:25:46 CEST 2019

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 12:14:34 +0200
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> > Yes, this is normal, unfortunately. The downloading of avatar image
> > files should really be rewritten to be asynchronous, otherwise the
> > plugin is pretty useless - nobody has the time to wait for those
> > timeouts when the avatar server happens to be unreachable.
>
> Patches welcome! Last time I tried introduced some thread code to ease
> this, but updating widgets asynchronously is something I don't really
> know how to do :-(

The async part is easy, but when I last looked at it, the code that
manages how the avatar image is displayed in messageview, it was a
mess. There is no single and abstracted "show this image as avatar"
API, each avatar implementation (face, xface, libravatar) seems to be
directly touching the messageview structure.

I believe this has to be fixed first.

Regards,
--
Andrej Kacian