[Users] Wrapping

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 10:52:45 CEST 2019

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 23:15:28 +0300
<mlist at riseup.net> wrote:

> - OTOH wrapped messages are fixed at certain width and look really bad if
> windows size is narrower.

'look really bad' is purely subjective. For me, your unwrapped message is not
as convenient to read as if it had been wrapped. Therefore, imo it is not
about 'looking good' but only about readability.

> - The screens we use today are not those old text only displays limited to
> 80 columns.

Even in 2001, when Claws Mail was first available, desktop 'screens we use
today' were those used then. (Excepting all those small screens people use
now, tablets, smart phones, etc.)

> So I wonder: what is good about wrapping?

Readability. That's why multiple, narrow columns of text are still widely
used.

> Also: Is there any RFC that mandates a maximum line length of mail
> messages? IOW without wrapping: is there any danger that the receiver won't
> be able to read the message due to it being non-standard/invalid?

See the 'Line Length Limits' section of RFC 2822:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#page-6

with regards

Paul