[Users] office365 problem, need TLS, not STARTTLS

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 13:34:28 CET 2019

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 12:20:53 +0000
"Blair, Charles E III" <c-blair at illinois.edu> wrote:

>     I am using version 3.11.1 of claws-mail.

You are strongly advised to upgrade.
3.11.1 is over 4 years old, there have been 13 releases since.
For details of the changes, see https://claws-mail.org/NEWS

>     Recently, I have had to work with a server
> that is using Office365, and am unable to connect
> to it.
>
>     I think the problem is that I need to use
> TLS to connect by IMAP, and the only choices
> I have are SSL and STARTTLS.

The label 'SSL' does refer to TLS.
At the time 'SSL' was a much more readily understood acronym, (and
also a hangover from when claws-mail used openSSL rather than gnuTLS
it uses now). Currently we are transitioning the UI, it currently says
'SSL/TLS', in future it will just say 'TLS'.

with regards

Paul