[Users] Better defaults for clawsker

H.Merijn Brand h.m.brand at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 4 18:33:36 CET 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 18:08:08 +0100, Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 14:21:50 +0100
> "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 11:38:45 +0100, Ricardo Mones
> > <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 21:51:09 +0100
> > > "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > >
>  [...]
> > >
> > > Added to master, thanks! :-)
> >
> > 👍
> >
> > A few more remarks
> >
> > • hashbang
>
> Applied, thanks for this suggestion!

👍 :)

> > • PREFIX
> >
> > Again, I don't think /usr/local is a good default. The script
> > itself uses the File::Which module to find out, so why not use the
> > same for the transistion?
> >
> >   PREFIX ?= /usr/local
> >
> >   →
> >
> >   PREFIX ?= $(shell perl -MFile::Which -E'say which ("claws-mail")
> > =~ s{/[^/]+\z}{}r')
> >
> >   or
> >
> >   PREFIX ?= $(shell which claws-mail | perl -pe's{/[^/]+\z}{}')
>
> Not sure about this one. The '/usr/local' has been traditionally the
> default for unspecified prefixes and it's the default for Claws Mail
> IIRC.

/usr/local is indeed a traditional default, but I do not have the
rights to install there (although I can get it) as I install as myself

I do so for most self-compiled tools: perl, tcsh, xterm, claws-mail
So my PATH starts with /pro/local/bin:/pro/bin *before* /usr/local/bin
and other system folders (where - most likely - many of these
self-compiled tools *also* exist.

/usr/bin/perl is the "system-perl" and has almost nothing installed
that clawsker might need or needs. Those are all in stalled in the perl
installed by *me* in /pro/bin

claws-mail is installed in /pro/local, and I somehow expect clawsker to
be installed alongside claws-mail

> Also, trying to derive claws-mail prefix from "whiching" the
> claws-mail command may fail easily (symlinks, wrapper scripts)... I
> think the binary would need a --prefix option which printed
> configured prefix, that way it would be more difficult to fool it.

Much agree there, just like perl does :)

> best regards,

using perl5.00307 .. 5.29   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE