[Users] Signatures don't seem to work

Alexander Harkness me at bearbin.net
Fri Aug 30 22:51:21 CEST 2019

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 13:39:24 -0700
Chad Wallace <cwallace at lodgingcompany.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 21:11:15 +0300
> mlist <mlist at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 09:43:28 -0700 Chad Wallace wrote:

> > > When GPG fetches a key, it stores it in a keyring.  I'm pretty
> > > sure the keys are stored forever, so it would only ever have to
> > > fetch any given key once, unless your keyring gets deleted or
> > > corrupted or something like that.
> >
> > I understand that but it doesn't answer the 2 questions.
>
> Oh, yes, you're right.  I just reread your questions, and...  it's
> because the Claws PGP/GPG plugins don't actually do the work
> themselves.  They shell out to the gpg binary and pass it switches to
> get done whatever needs to be done.  The gpg program doesn't check
> Claws' offline switch (why would it?) and if it needs to use the
> network, it just does.

However, the gpg binary doesn't go off and fetch new keys from the
keyserver by itself without instruction. In fact, GPG won't perform any
network operations unless specifically told to.

Additionally, the prompt in Claws to automagically download a key from
the keyserver doesn't show when you are operating in offline mode, and
signature verification by itself certainly doesn't require network
access.