[Users] Consider packaging claws-mail as flatpak distributable?

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 16:44:22 CEST 2019

Hmm,
So I use Slackware Linux, the oldest and most stable Linux by Patrick
Volkerding, which doesn't support SNAP or FLATPAK. So moving claws-mail
to a flatpak would not be beneficial to any Slackware user, it would
actually be a negative. Additionally, there are dozens of Linux
derivatives, many which don't support SNAP or FLATPAK, so I only see
more maintenance not less for the Claws developers,
versus simply maintaining source and allowing each Linux distribution to
package for their native installation format.  Really the Linux
installation standards of building from source, make & make install
should be all that is necessary. But (sarcastically) I realize that not
all Linux users want to know what is going in to their system and can
blindly allow an application package to put whatever the packagers
want.  Of course this is how virus, malware are loaded and private id's
are stolen, but then some apparently aren't bother by that.  BUT I AM
and like that Linux lets me control exactly what is being installed
on my system.  Just my two cents....

Pax tecum, absit iniuria;
BrianA_MN