[Users] ClawsMail IMAP to Verizon email imap.aol.com started failing with *** SSL/TLS

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 17:30:23 CEST 2019

I had a similar issue with yahoo.com imap about a year ago, also a
verizon meger account. The handshake failure was that
imap.mail.yahoo.com was no longer accepting passwords in anything but
"plain text".  Have you tried changing your aol.com mail online
settings to allow "less secure devices/connection signin" and changing
claws mail account under Recieve>Imap>Authentication Method to use
"plain text" rather than the
Recieve>Imap>Authentication "other optional protocols"?

I've had no problems with 3.17.3 and imap.mail.yahoo.com with plain
text security passing the password during SSL/TLS hand shake.  This is
the setup I have to use for both Linux and Win10 Claws Mail versions
because yahoo (now verizon) doesn't support the standard authentication
methods Claws Mail does support.  Verizon(Yahoo and AOL owner) wants you
to use their app or signin via a browser. They specifically say that
they have disabled the older authentician methods because they are
"outdated" as far as they are concerned.  I'm not aware of any
security issues with the older protocols.  Maybe someone on this list
knows all six of the other protocols Claws Mail supoprts and is able to
list a security issue with them that is more sever than "plain text"?
I believe the issue you are having is really a configuration choice
issue with imap.mail.aol.com Verizon owned servers not with Claws
Mail.  But I defer to your testing results.  Cheers.