[Users] Deleting messages previously retained on POP server

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Tue Apr 2 02:48:47 CEST 2019

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 19:40:42 -0400 Papa Oz. wrote:

>Claws newbie here.  I finally had to give up on Eudora.
>
>I prefer POP to IMAP.
Ditto.

>I have several machines.  Each can read the mail.  All are set to leave
>mail on the server.  One is designated to archive all the mail.  On
>that machine I want to selectively mark messages to be deleted from the
>server, but I want to keep them on the client.
>
>I suppose I could set up the archiver to always delete from the server,
>but there are two reasons I would prefer not to do that.  First, since
>the archiver fetches periodically, it would delete messages before the
>other machines could look at them.  And second, occasionally a message
>needs to be reported to the ISP as spam or objectionable, and for that
>I need it on the ISP site.
>
>I downloaded some old archives of this list and poked around a lot.  I
>saw some discussions that were sort of similar but not precisely.
>Could anyone please give me a clue as to how to selectively delete
>messages from the server that have been fetched but left on the
>server?  Many thanks.

Sounds like you're not taking advantage of a special resource: time!

Set archiver to collect messages on regular basis; but only delete after
N days (mine is set to 10 days).  All other machines have no problem
getting their copy of the messages, unless one or more is down, on
vacation, in for repair, whatever for more than those 10 days.

No need to manually worry about messages on server; they all end up on
archiver and other clients have plenty of time to get their copy.