[Users] Extremely slow connection to git.claws-mail.org

Removed GDPR removed-gdpr at example.com
Fri Sep 28 13:22:19 CEST 2018

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 09:18:35 +0200 Ricardo Mones wrote:

> Not sure why you're still cloning, which seems to be
> slow by default¹, and can be even slower using http
> (as announced²).

Makes no sense. It wasn't slow before and it is not
slow from another continent as I explained in earlier
messages. I am cloning:

git://git.claws-mail.org/claws.git

which I suppose means that I am not using http. Also
when I clone things from GitHub I get very high
speeds. Just an example:

[/tmp/download]:  git clone https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/firefox-ios.git
Cloning into 'firefox-ios'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 78, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (78/78), done.
Receiving objects:  67% (60910/89738), 305.23 MiB | 25.33 MiB/s

So I don't see why cloning should be slow by default.

> Are you trying to prove something or what is this
> cloning for?

To get the latest source code when I don't have a
local copy of it. (I build CM on more than one
computer and I don't always store long term the source)

> Once you have a clone you only have to fetch or pull
> the changes, and this is usually several orders of
> magnitude faster.

Sure but this is a workaround. It doesn't remove the
central issue.

> As Colin stated we don't have any control over this
> and notifying the provider won't achieve anything,
> besides perhaps some laugh in their tech department.

Nobody has laughed at me when I had similar issues
with my own web hosting in the past. On the contrary -
the hosting provider contacted their upstream providers
which fixed things. It usually took them a few hours
at most.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 09:26:17 +0200 Colin Leroy-Mira
wrote:

> You could also use (or setup if you'd rather have
> control) a git mirror like Olaf Hering's
> https://github.com/olafhering/claws

Thanks for sharing this one.

--
George