[Users] news reader

Leon Fisk lfiskgr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 21:43:05 CEST 2018

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:32:40 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 17:20:42 +0100
>> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Dave,
>>
> [...]
>>
>> The only one you need to receive news is an Account with a Protocol of
>> type NNTP. Select the relevant protocol, populate the newsserver box
>> with the name of your desired server, and enter username and password.
>
>news server. username and password? I thought newsgroups were public?
>
>> Go to your newly created account, right click and select Subscribe to
>> newsgroup.  You'll get a list of groups.
>
>I don't :( I get "Can't retrieve newsgroup list."

Yeah, sorta public but you need a provider to link with. In the old
days most ISP's provided Usenet with their service. Not so much
anymore. My ISP dropped Usenet several years ago. There are a few free
providers but you still need to sign up with them. As you can see in
the screen shot in my other post/answer I'm using Eternal September.
You can sign up with them if you wish here:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

You won't get anywhere until you have a provider/account set up :)

--
Leon
Claws 3.16.0, Ubuntu Lucid