[Users] 60 second hangs on incoming messages

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Sep 14 20:17:32 CEST 2018

Hello Pierre,

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 13:56:45 -0400 Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:23:19 +0200 wwp wrote:
>
> >Do you run any other plugin that computes things remotely? Better
> >disable them all for your tests, anyway.
>
> Plugins loaded:
>
> Address Keeper
> Attach Warner
> AttRemover
> Fancy HTML Viewer
> NewMail
> Notification
> PDF Viewer
> Python
>
> None of these should be invoked on a simple one-line text-only message.

Yes, but what does it cost to try anyway? Trying to isolate a
behaviour, if you have no clue about the cause, remove as possible
sources as possible, if not reproducing anymore, add again one possible cause by
one possible cause, yes it could take forever ;-).

> The main instance never has these delays.
>
> Tried a different setup...  instead of "su", I "ssh" to userid2 and the
> same problem occurs.
>
> Dunno if it's related; but instance1 (the one I'm using now) ignores a few
> typed characters when checking for new mail...

I get a UI more or less responsive when CM is fetching mail or rss
items, I always had, sometimes it's quite impossible to keep typing in
a compose window while there is network activity or updating a folder
view (I've just got it right now after email incorporation while I was
typing). I don't think this is 'abnormal' even if itchy-scratchy.

> Unloaded all the plugins by just clicking Unload 8 times, nothing else.
> When I got to the last one, CM crashed:
>   [1]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) cm
>
> Where is the core dumped to?
[snip]

If core there is, $HOME (should be). But I recommend trying to
reproduce it with CM running from gdb.

Regards,

--
wwp