[Users] mail went.... where?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Oct 27 06:36:06 CEST 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 20:13:28 -0400
Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> rikona wrote:
>
> >I tried that but it does not find anything. Is there a way to search
> >all 100 or so folders and subfolders?
>
> You could use the command line. If you open a terminal and change to
> the Mail directory, you can run this command to recursively search
> every file in the Mail directory and all its subdirectories for
> Xfinity in its contents:
>
> grep -r "Xfinity" *

Thanks! I ran this and it did find the emails. They were in another
account that USED to contain the folder for Xfinity emails, but I had
to change my email address to keep Comcast happy. Looks like the
"filter all msgs in folder" cmd did not honor the designated acct and
moved to the wrong folder. New emails are sorted correctly.

> [snip]

> You might be able to move the file from one directory to another in a
> file manager or on the command line, but I'm not sure if Claws would
> recognize that you did that or would need to rescan the directories.
> If anyone reading this knows, please jump in.

I move lots of files to make selective/partial backups. Claws seems to
be OK with this so far.

> I grep a lot. It's my preferred way of finding things.

I like recoll and use it a lot. Does sophisticated searches and is
faster with multiple TB of data. But does take a while to update the
index and didn't do this since this problem so NG for this problem.

Thanks for the help,
Rik