[Users] migration from mac mail

Daniel Allcock daniel at allcock.org
Mon Oct 8 08:20:16 CEST 2018

Hello All,
I am migrating from a mac to linux and claws-mail is clearly the mailer
I want to use.  I have set it up to access my usual imap account.  But I
also had a bunch of mail folders "On My Mac" that I had to get off the
server over the years for quota reasons.  Mostly these are old
correspondence.  In Mac Mail these offline folders are
right there on the sidebar and can be browsed or copied to, etc, just
like any other folder.

I'd like to have a similar setup in claws-mail.

How to get the files over in a way claws can read?  Mac Mail uses its
own proprietary undocumented format.  I have
used Mac Mail's "Export to mbox file" option on each of the 20-30
directories that I had offline.  But what then?  I have a dir tree
that looks like the mailbox tree except that to each leaf mailbox
corresponds a dir with name ending in ".mbox", which contains two
files. One file is called just "mbox" and the other is
"table_of_contents".

When setting up an account, claws can use a "local mbox file", but I
don't understand how to use it and have not been able to make sense of
the documentation that is available.  I set up such an account,
pointing it at one of the exported mbox files (the actual file, not the
dir whose name ends in .mbox).  Claws complained about missing email
address and server info, so I just made up some nonsense (I will not
send or receive mail in this "account"). Then it seemed to complete
successfully, but no second account showed up in the sidebar.
And no change that I noticed in the .claws-mail dir tree.  The second
account *was* visible in the config options.

Obviously I'm understanding something wrong. Any help appreciated!
Daniel