[Users] configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Removed GDPR removed-gdpr at example.com
Wed Oct 3 19:37:32 CEST 2018

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 18:44:35 +0200 Andrej Kacian wrote:

> It seems that you are trying to use a 64-bit system
> with a 64-bit compiler to build an executable for
> pentium-m target, which is exclusively 32-bit.

Yes, that's what I need.

> What exact configure flags are you using?

export CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=pentium-m -mtune=pentium-m -m32"
export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

./configure \
    --quiet \
    --build='i686-suse-linux-gnu' \
    --prefix='/opt/claws-mail' \
    --disable-jpilot \
    --disable-maintainer-mode \
    --disable-manual \
    --disable-static \
    --enable-bogofilter-plugin \
    --enable-crash-dialog \
    --enable-enchant \
    --enable-gnutls \
    --enable-ldap \
    --enable-pgpmime-plugin \
    --enable-silent-rules \
    --enable-spamassassin-plugin \
    --disable-dillo-plugin \
    --disable-fancy-plugin

> You shouldn't need to set -mtune or -march in CFLAGS
> at all,

I use CFLAGS based on this article:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization

Is that info irrelevant to Claws Mail?

> configure's --host and --build parameters
> should be enough, and set everything up for
> cross-compilation. Something like:
>
>   ./configure --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> --build=x86_64_pc-linux-gnu

Hm. I have never used --host on any machine so far. I
don't even know what it does. Is it mandatory?

Also why in your example --host is 32-bit and --build
is 64-bit? Shouldn't they be the same bit depth?

> Of course you will need a complete 32-bit compiler
> toolchain (probably available from your Linux
> distribution). [...]

I can check that but I can't find a list of
dependencies in the docs (although I obviously have
all satisfied on the current 64-bit machine). Where
should I read please?

--
George