[Users] Freeze on specific messages retrieval via POP

Shai Berger shai at platonix.com
Fri Nov 30 03:22:02 CET 2018

Hi,

In the last few weeks I've run a couple of times into a problem where
specific messages seem to cause Claws to freeze when attempting
retrieval. I haven't found an opportunity to really investigate, but
the symptoms are always the same: During message retrieval (via POP3),
Claws suddenly goes into 100% CPU and stays there, unresponsive, until
killed. A repeat of the retrieval ends the same, at the same point (as
far as the retrieval progress bar, or network log, shows).

Luckily, I can access the mailbox via a web interface. When I do this,
and move the problem message from the inbox folder to another folder
(which is not retrieved by Claws), the retrieval can continue to other
messages (and complete in all cases I encountered, as it seems problem
messages are not all that common).

Tonight I took a debug log too -- a reduced version is attached, if you
see anything there that could help or is missing please let me know.
You can see there that the session starts and progresses nicely
until the POP request "RETR 3366", for which Claws does not record a
response, followed by the messages for being killed. This is 3.17.1,
compiled by myself on Debian testing (because it was the easiest way to
get Fancy), although I've had the experience with a previous version
(3.16.0 with a couple of patches).

I have a similar, separate installation on a laptop (3.16.0git163)
where this never happened -- including when these specific messages
were retrieved, so this is probably something to do with my local
installation -- but I don't know where to begin to look.

In case this matters, I do not use automatic mail checking -- mail
retrieval is always initiated from the "Get Mail" button, and is
usually getting several dozen messages.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,
	Shai.