[Users] building against GTK 3 fails regarding a quicksearch issue

Andrej Kacian ticho at claws-mail.org
Wed Nov 7 18:14:00 CET 2018

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 16:42:52 +0100
Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ok, now I understand my mistake [1]. The latest Claws gtk2 version is
> 3.17, but the current Claws gtk3 version is 3.16.
>
> Is all the Claws data, including all the POP accounts compatible, if I
> downgrade from Claws gtk2 version 3.17.0 and 3.17.1, to Claws gtk3
> version 3.16.0?

It's not really a downgrade, the code in gtk3 branch is kept up to date
with the master branch (sometimes with a few days of delay, depending
on how busy I am). So you can use the same config for each. I switch
between gtk2 and gtk3 versions sometimes several times per day,
depending on what I happen to be working on and testing at the
moment. :) I don't think we will need to break config compatibility
between the two versions for a good while - in fact, we try not to.

You are seeing version "3.16.0gitXXX", because for git builds, the
version string is generated from last release tag in that branch, plus
number of commits in the branch since that tag. And since tag names
have to be unique across the entire repository, and not just the
branch, we can't have the same release tags both in master, and in gtk3
branch.

I admit that it is a rather strange situation, which will definitely
need to be resolved sometimes in the future, but while the gtk3 branch
is still under development, nobody is really bothered about it. :)

Regards,
--
Andrej