[Users] Using Fancy with Fedora 29 ?

Andrej Kacian ticho at claws-mail.org
Sun Nov 4 14:20:21 CET 2018

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 13:55:52 +0100
Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 12:22:32 -0000, Paul wrote:
> >On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 12:56:49 +0100
> >Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Regarding my claim that Claws is unstable (on Arch, not Ubuntu 16.04
> >> LTS), I experienced the same for SpaceFM GTK2 and _needed_ to
> >> migrate to SpaceFM GTK3 on Arch Linux, to get rid of the issues.
> >> I'll test Claws GTK3 port ASAP, too.
> >
> >That doesn't say what you claim to have experienced, so that still
> >doesn't answer my question.
> >
> >And what about this?:
> >
> >> You better find another MUA, since soon or later Claws will be
> >> broken on other systems, too.
> >
> >You are just trolling here, it seems. If not, then please explain why
> >you've said this.
>
> Counterquestions: If there will be no issues with GTK 2 in the near
> future for almost any GTK 2 based app, for what reason are you working
> on a Claws GTK 3 port? Apart from the GNOME folks, several upstream
> developers for good reasons prefer old faithful GTK 2 over GTK 3, so
> they either sometimes discontinued their software or unwillingly
> migrate to GTK 3. There might be still some projects that were neither
> dropped, nor a migration is planed. Do they have got a future, if
> they rely on GTK 2?

We're working on a GTK3 port to have way forward open. GTK2 will not be
around forever (unless someone forks and maintains it, which is
unlikely).

I do not expect us to stop releasing GTK2 version anytime soon, as
apart from not having Fancy, it is still fully working, and IMHO better
looking. Even after GTK3 version is fully finished (as much as
something like that can ever be "finished") and working, we will likely
just release both versions concurrently. Time will tell.

Or perhaps my pet project, Qt port, will take off and we will leave GTK
behind altogether. :)

With that being said, your counterquestions seem to me like an attempt
to change topic, and avoid having to explain your rather toxic remark.
Not cool.

Regards,
--
Andrej