[Users] SVG theme

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Sun Nov 4 13:44:52 CET 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 19:36:19 +0100
pezcurrel <pezcurrel at tiscali.it> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 13:30:22 +0100 Michal Suchánek <msuchanek at suse.de>
> wrote:
>
> >While at it something like
> >
> >https://openclipart.org/detail/26557/check-mark
> >
> >tends to be more readable than
> >
> >http://rame.altervista.org/cmbasicsvg/mark.png
> >
> >especially when overlaid on other icons. The reason is that with most
> >of the icon set rectangular due to the envelopes the slanted and
> >curved shape is easy to distinguish.
> >
> >Also the envelopes with dark sides like this
> >
> >http://rame.altervista.org/cmbasicsvg/mark_read.png
> >
> >are way too distracting as background for additional icons making
> >them hard to read. Using more uniform envelope like
> >
> >http://rame.altervista.org/cmbasicsvg/unread.png
> >
> >would be probably better.
> >
> >Another nit is using pens slanted both left and right. I see no
> >reason why they could not be all slanted the same way.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions too, I tried and take them into account ;)

Hello,

thanks for the update. IT is not reflected on the web site, though.

I tried the updated theme and in comparison with the default theme I
observe these issues:

The "Forward" and "Next" arrows are in uniform dark blue which is hard
to read against my GTK theme dark background. Note the default theme
uses a gradient of blue color from light to dark making the shape
readable on both dark and light background. Same for the red arrows but
they do not appear separately so it less important for those.

The folder icons are rendered very small so it is important that the
overlays be as big as possible and not limited to fitting into the
envelope shape.

Also note the sent and inbox icons which are rendered as completely
different kind of folder which makes them more distinct. The default
theme does not provide an 'open' graphics for this folder type, though.

In your theme the 'open' graphics for folders is pretty much
indistinguishable from closed folder. The default theme does way better
job at this where the 'open' graphics exists.

The 'Reply all' icon is very crowded in your theme.

Note also that for the SVG theme to be universally useful and not only
for hi-dpi it should render clearly in the size the default icons are
provided. That means no details smaller than the pixel size in this
rendering. However, to get that right might require quite a bit of
tuning.

You can do this comparison yourself by changing your display resolution
or attaching a lo-dpi screen for testing. Then both themes get
rendered in the same size and you can do apples-to-apples comparison of
your theme vs default or any other.

Thanks

Michal