[Users] Intermittent hangs when using Claws-Mail

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 3 18:05:48 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I'm getting intermittent hangs while using Claws-Mail. Typically I'm
clicking around then the video becomes unresponsive. Dragging around a
dialog box leaves a trail of gray. I can usually kill it by clicking
the window close command, waiting several seconds,  and confirming I
want it closed. But occasionally I need to send a kill command.

In every case, I'm perfectly able to Alt+Tab or workspace navigate to
other apps. It's not nearly as serious as a Firefox catastrophe.

This seems to happen about 4 times a day: Some
days more, some days less.

This problem started somewhere between 8 and 4 days ago. My package
manager tells me I've had this same version of claws-mail (3.16.0)
ever since 2017-12-25.

I'm using Void Linux 64 bit. Here's some of my info:

[slitt at mydesk ~]$ claws-mail -v
Claws Mail version 3.16.0
[slitt at mydesk ~]$ uname -a
Linux mydesk 4.16.4_1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 25 19:50:33 UTC 2018
x86_64 GNU/Linux [slitt at mydesk ~]$ grep ^exec ~/.xinitrc
exec /usr/bin/openbox-session
[slitt at mydesk ~]$ head -n1 /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       15598608 kB
[slitt at mydesk ~]$

From now until I solve this problem, I'll be running claws-mail from a
terminal so I can view the terminal's output. I'll also be looking more
closely at log files. Just for fun I'll do a memory test and a disk
test too. I'll let you know when I discover something.

Thanks,

SteveT