[Users] See the 'FILES' section of `man claws-mail` for brief descriptions of the files.

Andrej Kacian ticho at claws-mail.org
Sat Mar 10 19:57:17 CET 2018

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 19:35:48 +0200
Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com> wrote:

> Yes, I think understand the process of deletion. My
> confusion is/was rather about what happens if a message deleted on the
> server gets restored from backup locally, i.e if it will be re-uploaded
> to the server thus creating a duplicate (one copy in inbox/folder and
> another in Trash).

No, this will not happen. The local copy is only used as a ephemeral
"mirror" of the message with the same ID on server, for purposes of
displaying the message. If there is no message with that ID on server,
Claws Mail will not even try to access the local copy.

> Similarly it is not completely clear if restoring from backup a local
> cache file would prevent the proper synchronization. That depends on
> the program logic. For example the following logic would prevent the
> sync (pseudo code):
>
> if (local_cache_file_exists) {
>     // Do not sync
> } else {
>     // Fetch new items
>     // Update tags for existing items
>     // ...
> }

In some cases, this can cause issues. That is what "Discard folder
cache" button in folder properties dialog is there for - it will delete
everything cached locally for that particular folder.

Regards,
--
Andrej