[Users] How to prevent IMAP NOOP?

Richard lists-claws at listmail.innovate.net
Sun Mar 4 17:11:22 CET 2018

> Date: Sunday, March 04, 2018 11:17:06 +0200
> From: Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com>
>
> I noticed in the network log that every minute Claws sends a NOOP:
>
> [10:55:34] IMAP> 720 NOOP
> [10:55:34] IMAP< 720 OK Success
> [10:56:34] IMAP> 721 NOOP
> [10:56:34] IMAP< 721 OK Success
> [10:57:34] IMAP> 722 NOOP
> [10:57:34] IMAP< 722 OK Success
>
> I don't want the server to know that I am online and that my mail
> client is running. I want to check my email manually only and not
> notify anyone what I am doing meanwhile.
>
> So how can I prevent this NOOP sequence?

With an IMAP client [in the early days the "I" stood for
"interactive"] you will have one active connection to the server for
each login and an additional one for each open mail "folder" under a
login. So generally that means a minimum of two active connections,
often rather more. As such, you can't go "dark" from the perspective
of the IMAP server unless you use "offline mode" or otherwise log out.