[Users] Replying in the same folder

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Wed Jul 4 12:41:45 CEST 2018

On July 4, 2018 5:03:41 AM EDT, Liz <edodd55 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Jul 2018 06:23:15 -0400
>Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:
>
>> >What do you mean by that? Re-edited in what sense? (I have never
>> >edited emails which I have already sent)
>>
>> You've never forgotten something, or needed to correct grammar,
>> typos, instructions, ...? :)
>
>Easy.
>You move the sent email with the error to the main sent folder, then
>edit it.
>Move it back if you need perfect record keeping.

My reasons for sticking with SC, now CM, since 2001 (Eudora before then) are many; but primarily that I am not required to do the work the computer can/should. Correcting a sent mail is for the recipient; record-keeping is secondary, and would lead to confusion & misunderstandings if corrected messages were only in my folders & not sent -- those are called drafts and should remain so.
We're allowed to keep messages together in folfers other than Sent (threading); so why restrict  the functionality? CM still knows which msgs are the "sent" ones -- I don't want/need to edit received msgs. Maybe "re-edit" should never have existed, forcing Forward; but then I'd want "Forward to same recipients"[1+]... (maybe this would be the better method for all folders, incl. Sent)
Given that I keep ALL my folder views sorted by date; moving/copying back to Sent means I also likely have to quick-search it in Sent. Then, if I forget to move it back -- actually, BOTH the original and the edited copies (separated dates[1] will usually require Ctrl+select) need to be moved back since they're not in the folder of choice... :p

[1] my most common use of re-edit is to update instructions from days/weeks/months, even over a year prior -- forwarding the old ones {c,w}ould add unnecessary confusion.
[1+] I've always considered re-editing akin to composing with a template from a previous message (in case that triggers other ideas, such as "re-compose [from selected]").

Still think the current re-edit is easy? :)

>Liz

HTH,
Pierre