[Users] Can't decrypt my PGP-mail

Bob Williams usenet at karmasailing.uk
Tue Jan 30 16:29:09 CET 2018

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 16:11:22 +0100
Andreas Meyer <anmeyer at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> schrieb am 30.01.18 um 12:49:41
> Uhr:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:50:01 +0100
> > Andreas Meyer wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Andrej Kacian <ticho at claws-mail.org> schrieb am 30.01.18 um
> > > 04:44:22 Uhr:

> > > No, this is not enabled. I remembeer the email I got from the
> > > partner was encrypted with another key than the emailaddress it
> > > was sent to finally. Maybe this has something to do with it?
> >
> > You will only be able to decrypt messages where the relevant private
> > key is in your key ring, so I doubt it would affect things.
> >
> > It's perfectly fine to encrypt to yourself provided that you can
> > accept the additional security effects of doing so. It's not a good
> > idea if you *really* only want the addressee (or more accurately
> > the key owner) to be able to decrypt it.
>

> I don't understand, what's going on. I answer to an email with an
> encrypted email. This encrypted email I sent is stored in the
> Sent-folder.
>
> Now I want to review this encrypted email I sent and can't decrypt,
> open and view it.
>
> I understand is encrypted with the public key. Do you say if i had
> encrypted it with my own key additionally, I would be able to open
> and review it?
>
> Kind regards
>
>   Andreas

You encrypted with the other person's public key. Only that person's private key can decrypt that message, including the copy in your Sent mail folder. By encrypting with your own public key, as well as the other person's public key, both of you can decrypt the message, each using their own private key.

Some background reading here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

Bob
--
Bob Williams