[Users] Convenient way ofI browsing/viewing backuped messages?

Denis den_ml at posteo.de
Tue Jan 30 08:34:08 CET 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:19:46 +0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 10:07:03 +0300
> Denis <den_ml at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> > I have limited space in my account, so I want to backup my messages
> > and then delete those older than a couple months from the account.
> > I know how to make a backup - there is a plugin for Claws Mail,
> > also I can manually copy the subdir I need from
> > ~/.claws-mail/imapcache. But how do I then browse/view these
> > messages?
> >
> > Using a text editor is not really convenient because you get a
> > block of service information (Return-Path, Received: from, and so
> > on) and cannot see non-text attachments. Besides it would be
> > convenient to browse these (backed up) messages in Claws Mail, like
> > with the messages that are currently in your account, just in a
> > different folder. So, anyone has done that? Do I need to create a
> > separate offline account and somehow point Claws Mail to the folder
> > with the backed up messages? Is there a standard/popular way of
> > handling it?
>
> You don't need to create an offline account, but probably the easiest
> way is to create an MH mailbox, (/File/Add mailbox/MH...) and then
> copy the messages you want to backup to a folder in the MH mailbox,
> and then delete them from your IMAP mailbox.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

Thanks!

But does this work only with copying messages from within Claws Mail? When I try copying message files with file manager, Claws Mail does not see them in the corresponding folder of the new MH mailbox. I'm asking just in case, copying messages with a file manager may sometime come in handy.

--
Respectfully,
Denis Shadrin