[Users] Copying configs from old computer causes crash?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Feb 23 06:51:44 CET 2018

I have used Claws-Mail on my laptop for years, currently Xubuntu
14.04.3. There are four mail accounts and dozens of e-mail addresses for
correspondents. I wish to transfer all of this to a new computer which
has Xubuntu 17.10.1. I installed Claws-Mail on the new computer from the
Ubuntu repositories, version 3.15.0. I forgot that I meant to copy
the .claws-mail folder from ~/ on the old computer and paste it into
~/ on the new computer and instead I just launched Claws-Mail on the
new computer. This popped up a bunch of welcome screens asking me for a
lot of stuff that I didn't want to add so I left it all blank. When I
got to the end of the screens Claws-Mail wouldn't let me close the
welcome screens without also closing the main program.

Then I copied and pasted the .claws-mail folder from the old computer
to the new one, and launched Claws-Mail. It didn't pop up, and several
minutes later Ubuntu gave me a window that said "The application Claws
Mail has closed unexpectedly.' The details in the crash window said:

	claws-mail crashed with SIGSEGV in ___strchr_avx2()
	Apport/Version 2.20.7-Oubuntu3.7
	Architecture amd64
and much more that would be difficult to post here because I'd have to
type it manually - although it also said:
	Duplicate of:
	https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs1727499

I tried to check out the bug but the page says " This page does not
exist, or you may not have permission to see it."

The new computer is for doing some CPU intensive stuff and my old
computer is what I will continue to use for mail, so the new
installation is just to give me a backup to get on the net in case
something goes horribly wrong with my old computer - in other words,
fixing this problem is not urgent. Nevertheless, suggestions will be
greatly appreciated!